Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's Official

We officially announced that we're pregnant this week. I've actually known since the beginning of May when I was feeling weird and mostly sick, so it was pretty clear what was going on. We decided to wait to tell everyone, just to make sure things were going well. About 3 weeks after finding out, I started getting killer cramps that felt like what I imagine contractions to feel like. These lasted for about 2.5 weeks and seemed to be getting worse, so we went to the doctor who said labs looked fine and he ordered an ultrasound. During the ultrasound they dated the baby at exactly 6 weeks and I could already see the heart pumping. Now, even the nausea is virtually gone, replaced by more frequent hunger and I feel great. The tummy just looks like I ate a big meal, but my jeans are feeling awfully tight... I bought this elastic band today that you are supposed to be able to wear over your unzipped jeans and it looks like you are wearing layers. We'll see how that works. Maternity clothes at Target are apparently only designed for tall people. I think I need to find a specialty store for maternity clothes to find some pants that will fit. At least it is summer and I can where skirts for a while, and I tend to buy looser fitting clothing anyway, so I'm probably good for another month. (Until I have to go on a business trip.)

According to the internet (and one of the books I checked out from the library) the baby is now 3.5 inches long. To find out what other exciting things happen in week 14, if you're interested, here's a link:
http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-14-weeks_1103.bc

Anyway, we're excited. I keep wandering over to the baby aisle in the grocery store and oggling at all the options we're going to have to think about soon. (And all the cute little outfits that I get to buy :) ).

No comments: